/> a mother's heart » Blog Archive » in the home stretch

foodstorageanalyzer.com/MemberPages/FoodStorage.aspx

We are so close I can almost taste it.  No pun intended, but after working diligently for the better part of January, we are within 40 days of finishing up the food storage.  Well, 38.16 days, to be exact.  :)

We’ve added an insane amount of wheat and about 78 pounds of quick oats (all purchased at Costco for less than $80 – w00t!), although at the rate my guys are gobbling up granola, I’m thinking it might be a good thing to add another 26lb bucket of oats. Hmmmm.

We also added in quite a few #10 cans of freeze dried vegetables and 2 cans of popcorn – there’s no point in having microwave popcorn hanging around when Mark makes SUCH a delectable batch of real popcorn, popped in coconut oil and lightly seasoned with Real Salt.  Holy COW it is good.  :)

I added in 25# of sugar, as well.  I think to finish it up, I’m going to procure some more honey (local, raw), another 25# bag of sugar, some more beans (probably white & black), and another bucket of oats.  I’m pretty sure these things will toss me over the 365-day mark, but it feels well-rounded to me to have things things and be able to stop thinking about procurement and building all the time, to simply keep a tally of what needs to be replaced as we rotate through.

I’ve also been adding things in more #10 cans than I did in Michigan – my pantry in Michigan was limited and #10 cans took up too much space in the basement pantry.  Here, despite the fact that the apartment is smaller (by FAR) than our home in Michigan was, I’m finding more creative ways to store the stuff.  So the #10 cans are in boxes (labelled on both sides – remember this one, Betsie? :mrgreen:) and the boxes are currently stacked in a cubby-space behind the bookshelf.  The cubby space was designed for a large TV set (I think), but we have a bookshelf in there and there’s plenty of space back there for at least 12 boxes of #10 cans.  They are visible through the open-back of the bookshelf, however, which has us thinking of disguising the storage space a bit.  Mark thought we should staple black fabric to the back of the bookshelf, which would work, but my mom suggested we buy a cheap tension-rod (for a cafe curtain) and make a rod-pocket in the black fabric. That way, there are no gaps between the wall and the bookshelf which might look unsightly.  So I’ll be popping over to a Big Box Store and picking up a tension rod this week – and I’ll probably hand-baste a rod pocket in to the top of the fabric and make quick work of it.

I’m really happy to be so close to being done.  Based on the budget for February, I’m not sure I’ll be able to finish all of it this month, but I should be able to be done by the middle of March, at the latest.  :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. Both comments and pings are currently closed.
  • http://www.andanotherthing.typepad.com Betsie

    Oy! I’ve never seen the point of that, but please be sure that you have the same thing labeled on each side :o) I believe that got us in trouble last spring ;o)

  • http://www.mamasheartblog.com sue

    You remembered! 😀 I wasn’t sure if it was too obscure for you or not. 😉 i guess if you stack the boxes length-wise, it would be important to have the labeling match the end of the box, so you don’t get confused…. but to make it a “you MUST do it THIS way” seemed a little silly – last spring and now. 😉